How To Avoid Carbon Monoxide Leaks In Your Furnace?
Unfortunately, a gas furnace can potentially leak deadly carbon monoxide fumes into your home, making it important to detect any leaks as soon as possible. The combustion process of a gas furnace produces carbon monoxide as a byproduct. The dangerous gas is contained inside of the heat exchanger’s walls and if the furnace is working properly it travels through the unit’s flue pipe and is vented outside of the home in a safe fashion.
However, if the flue pipe or heat exchanger happens to have a crack in it then it’s possible for carbon monoxide to escape through it and into the home. If the level of carbon monoxide is high it’s typically considered to be a serious health risk in it can potentially be fatal.
It’s essential that you do what you can do make sure your furnace is running properly and isn’t leaking carbon monoxide. Below are some of the steps which each homeowner can follow to help keep their family safe from the hazardous gas.
It’s highly recommended that you have an annual checkup or inspection on your furnace to make sure it’s in safe and proper working order. A yearly preventative-maintenance inspection is carried out by a professional technician and any problems with the furnace will be immediately detected and repaired. The technician will typically perform several preventative tasks on the unit, including cleaning the system.
Change the Air Filter
If the airflow in the heating system is backed up and dirty it could result in a carbon monoxide leak. To make sure the air is flowing properly you should check the air filter and change it if needed. The furnace will certainly breathe easier and perform to its potential with an unclogged filter.
The blower motor and furnace need to be installed correctly for them to be effective and the ductwork has to be properly designed. If not, there’s a chance of a carbon monoxide leak. This is why it’s important to have a qualified professional install and service the heating system in your home.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon monoxide is so dangerous because it’s very hard to detect. The gas is odorless and colorless and could be present in your home without anybody knowing it. The solution to this problem is to make sure you have carbon monoxide detectors installed in the home. These devices will set off an alarm and warn you of the presence of carbon monoxide as soon as possible. Be sure to test your detectors on a regular basis to make sure they’re in working order.
For more information on carbon monoxide and heating systems please feel free to contact our team of professional technicians at Lloyd HVAC Services. Remember, carbon monoxide is a well-known natural byproduct of a furnace and needs to be contained in the heat exchanger before being vented outside by the flue.
We’ll be able to thoroughly inspect your heating system with specialized equipment to make sure there are no cracks in it, making your home safe and sound for the winter.